Navy Six-Step Troubleshooting - UPDATED!!

Started by Hawaii596, 07-02-2009 -- 09:49:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawaii596

**SEE UPDATE AT END**

This is an odd question.  Maybe some of you ex-Navy people (which I am one) can assist.

In ET (Electronic Technician) "A" School, they taught "Six Step Troubleshooting".  I can instinctively pretty much remember it, but was wondering if anyone can specifically remember all six steps.  I have junior techs that I train, and want to teach them this method.  I presume there is nothing classified about it (if so, please let me know).

Or if anyone knows any links that have it, I'd appreciate it.  I haven't looked for it in quite a while.  I'll go do a fresh search, and if I come up with anything this time, I'll edit this post.

Thank you Al Gore for inventing the internet.  It is ever expanding.  And through some searching, I found copies of NEETS online.  Some of the Six Step Troubleshooting looks like it has changes since I was in A School back in the late 70s.  If anyone is interested, I'll post what I've found.  I'd be interested in a Late 1970s version of the Six Step Troubleshooting if anyone has it.
"I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind."
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)
from lecture to the Institute of Civil Engineers, 3 May 1883

griff61

Quote from: Hawaii596 on 07-02-2009 -- 09:49:46
If anyone is interested, I'll post what I've found.  I'd be interested in a Late 1970s version of the Six Step Troubleshooting if anyone has it.
You're such a tease...throw it out there already!
Sarcasm - Just one more service I offer

Hawaii596

Oh yeah.... I forgot...it's been a very busy day.  This isn't exactly how I think I remember it.  Step (6) doesn't seem to ring a bell as being how I learned it.  Anyway, here it (essentially) is.  This is taken from one of the later revs of the Navy training publications:

1.   Symptom recognition. This is the action of recognizing some disorder or malfunction in electronic equipment.

2.   Symptom elaboration. Obtaining a more detailed description of the trouble symptom is the purpose of this step.

3.    Listing probable faulty functions. This step is applicable to equipment that contains more than one functional area or unit. From the information you have gathered, where could the trouble logically be located?

4.   Localizing the faulty function. In this step you determine which of the functional units of the multiunit equipment is actually at fault.

5.   Localizing trouble to the circuit. You will do extensive testing in this step to isolate the trouble to a specific circuit.

6.    Failure analysis. This step is multipart. Here you determine which part is faulty, repair/replace the part, determine what caused the failure, return the equipment to its proper operating status, and record the necessary information in a recordkeeping book for other maintenance personnel in the future. While not a part of this step, the technician should reorder any parts used in repair of the faulty equipment.
"I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind."
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)

flew-da-coup

I think we are the only 2 Navy ET's on the forum. I had a copy of the NEETS on my laptop but it is gone now. As for the "6 Step", well to many brain cells gone to remember all that.
You shall do no injustice in judgment, in measurement of length, weight, or volume.Leviticus 19:35

Winterfire2008

Nope not the only two!!  Ask Hawaii, he used to work with me.  The Navy stories we used to swap!!!!

mdbuike

And here I thought all the Navy did was give it a new coat of gray paint and send it back   :-o   :-D 

But seriously, the only time I've interfaced with the NPSL is when they did our multimode fiber spool..and they forgot to include the index of refraction for the wavelengths with the certificate..oops

My problem comes with the Navy peeps here on a USAF base that seem to deliberately break cal void stickers and misalign gages and other instruments, in the belief we don't really calibrate them, just do a physical check, stamp it, and send it home...If they were audited the same way we are, they might think differently...

Ahh well..have a great 4th

Mike
Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

CalibratorJ

Heh, speaking of the NPSL..... the APSL is getting some work that would usually go to the NPSL...... wonder why? And not all of it is Primary stuff either, bunch of lower level stuff coming through from the Marines......

Hawaii596

FYI everyone.... I found NEETS in PDF.  Anyone interested, send me a private message and we can discuss how to get it.

Yes, Winterfire used to work with me.  Maybe again one of these days when you're done roaming the globe.
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)

MIRCS

Quote from: CalibratorJ on 07-05-2009 -- 10:54:27
Heh, speaking of the NPSL..... the APSL is getting some work that would usually go to the NPSL...... wonder why? And not all of it is Primary stuff either, bunch of lower level stuff coming through from the Marines......

Turn around time is the main issue.  Also we used to be able to just send to you for NAVAIR, which covers a lot of USMC equipment, but we can't no more.

CalibratorJ

Cool, thanks MIRCS. Was wondering why the sudden influx of stuff. Not that I mind it AT ALL  :wink:

IRAET

Nope not the only 2    USN ET   

I reword the 6 step method to assist kids today understanding the language.

PROVE the faullt or your not done

jimmyc

i went to navy ET school in millington, tn in early 1983.  it was self paced at the time and i still have my woooppiiie sheet (anyone who graduated from the self paced course knows what that is)

CalLabSolutions

In the Army we had a 2 step method..
   1) If it malfunctions.. Get a hammer..
   2) If it breaks.... You needed a new one any way!
Michael L. Schwartz
Automation Engineer
Cal Lab Solutions
  Web -  http://www.callabsolutions.com
Phone - 303.317.6670

ck454ss

Quote from: flew-da-coup on 07-03-2009 -- 06:55:31
I think we are the only 2 Navy ET's on the forum. I had a copy of the NEETS on my laptop but it is gone now. As for the "6 Step", well to many brain cells gone to remember all that.

No your not!  :P I actually still have all my notes from A school.  Ill look it up.

IRAET

What does the air force do anyway?

Gators and Surface fleet respond
Navy  and Marines make it safe
Seabees build a base
Army shows up and brings trucks
to assist seabees in building a golf course
so the Air Force can show up