Faster Than the Speed of Light? Does this mean more math?

Started by griff61, 09-25-2011 -- 23:55:29

Previous topic - Next topic

griff61

Physicists on the team that measured particles travelling faster than light said Friday they were as surprised as their skeptics about the results, which appear to violate the laws of nature as we know them.

...The team - a collaboration between France's National Institute for Nuclear and Particle Physics Research and Italy's Gran Sasso National Laboratory - fired a neutrino beam 454 miles (730 kilometres) underground from Geneva to Italy.
They found it travelled 60 nanoseconds faster than light. That's sixty billionth of a second, a time no human brain could register...

http://sync.sympatico.ca/news/cern_claims_faster-than-light_particle_measured/57426708

I can post the whole thing, but...
Sarcasm - Just one more service I offer

Hawaii596

I am betting the mesaurement was not accredited.  And I want to see the certificate of calibration on the speedometer used.  Sorry, just getting my brain started for Monday morning.  I did scan the article, and I guess it is so well within the realm of light speed, that I think it could well be an accuracy thing.  The other part is that we certainly can not yet claim full precise understanding of such things.  I think it is very possible that differing types of "energy" may have small or moderately different speeds.  The speed of sound differs widely through various media.  Light goes through different materials in differing ways.  So I think it is at least reasonably feasible that a neutrino's speed may differ from that of light.  I have a variety of thoughts on the mass energy equivalence theories, but I'll save them for when I have more time.

I'm not saying that I am not skeptical; as I am.  In science, I believe in good data for any theory.  Without data, it isn't full science.  Science is about taking observations (data) and making order of them.  Alright, back to work.
"I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind."
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)
from lecture to the Institute of Civil Engineers, 3 May 1883

CalLabSolutions

My Question is.. How to you measure someting moving faster than the speed of light?

I am sure they are not using a digital stop watch.
Michael L. Schwartz
Automation Engineer
Cal Lab Solutions
  Web -  http://www.callabsolutions.com
Phone - 303.317.6670

griff61

Quote from: CalLabSolutions on 09-26-2011 -- 09:41:23
My Question is.. How to you measure someting moving faster than the speed of light?

I am sure they are not using a digital stop watch.
of course not, they go:
one one thousand
two one thousand...

It makes for very interesting reading, I might even learn something
Sarcasm - Just one more service I offer

Mikey

I for one do not trust these European scientists messing with underground photon beams and flux capicitors...  Risking the chance of creating a black hole in the Earth's core and poisoning our oceans.

Winterfire2008

One day we will be riding those neutrinos beams to wherever we want to go!!!!!!!