Why are the calibration procedures so different between Services

Started by Lost in Place, 02-17-2012 -- 13:31:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost in Place

The follow-up question to the PEML training, is why are the calibration procedures so different?  The USAF walks you through step by step, assuming nothing.  The USA has adjustments, and the USN is more of a guideline.  Any thoughts on this?

Bryan

Preconceived notions of the target audience?
I have seen equipment manuals that are very detailed and others that just refer to "standard measurement technique".  I have come to prefer the latter but starting out was greatly helped by the former.
Doesn't that sound lame?

Hawaii596

Probably just like different OEM's manuals.  Each OEM has its own technical culture.  And, agreed, based on that culture, preconceived notions about the target audience.
"I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind."
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)
from lecture to the Institute of Civil Engineers, 3 May 1883

MIRCS

Quote from: Lost in Place on 02-17-2012 -- 13:31:48
The follow-up question to the PEML training, is why are the calibration procedures so different?  The USAF walks you through step by step, assuming nothing.  The USA has adjustments, and the USN is more of a guideline.  Any thoughts on this?

I can show you procedures that completely contradict what you have stated.  I use Navy, USMC, USAF, USA, Locally written, ASME, ANSI, ISO....everyday just about.  I've actually found more 33K procedures to assume A LOT.  It all depends on the type of equipment.  Matter of fact there are some procedures out there called "Calibration Requirement Documents" that were written and agreeded upon to be used by the services for the test methods and checks used in calibration procedures, so things were the same.  A lot of good that did. 

I really guess it is perception of the procedure and what service trained you for calibration.

measure

Quote from: Lost in Place on 02-17-2012 -- 13:31:48
The USAF walks you through step by step, assuming nothing.  The USA has adjustments, and the USN is more of a guideline.  Any thoughts on this?
It's obvious you never used a 33K4 procedure requiring the use of a Weinschel VM-3. For anyone that has, the biggest joke at the time, in any procedure requiring it, would be the step following the connection information as follows: "Detect and capture the signal." To accomplish that with the VM-3 could take some time, much, much more than the short, cryptic sentence would suggest.

Generally, however, I would agree with your assessment. On the other hand, I have been burned before because the USAF does not necessarily utilize the manufacturer's specifications; they only support what the mission requires, which may or may not be the manufacturer's published (commercial) specifications. The USN typically uses manufacturer's specs in their 17-20 series procedures, where the USA is all over the map. That's all cool if you're working in a service lab connected to one of the aforementioned services, but utilizing the procedures blindly in a commercial lab, without verifying the steps and specs with the manufacturer first, can get you in to trouble sometimes.

dallanta

I have worked in Army labs and in Air Force.  Yes, the army is all over the map and some things you know have to be checked are not even addressed.  In an air force lab though, you have to be absolutely sure of the specs before you can do anything at all, whether from the mfg, K manual, customer, or whatever.  With the inspections they have in the air force you have to be covered or you will get burned.
The Center Will Not Hold

skidaddle skaduski

That is where you are retarded.  The USAF doesn't "walk you through, step by step".  I know who you are, and it is people like you that give our career field a bad name.  It takes more than just merely reading through a manual and reading step by step. 

You need to know basics, and fundamentals.. and then use your brain to accomplish a task.  Those that just follow through step by step, loose the important thing, like.. how to make this whole program better.  You can't just believe that the T.O. or Manuf proc is correct, you gotta use your brain. 

If you are in this career field to just read manuals and push buttons, then I suggest you go to something easier, like avionics... or .. IDK.. taking out garbage.. or. working at McDonalds.. or.. lol. on a personal note.. try being a greeter at Walmart ( cause I know you have experience in that).  Leave the Metrology for the adults and go back to using your mouth for money.

USMCPMEL

Why are you on here bashing everybody Skiddaddle and who are you talking to???

griff61

Quote from: skidaddle skaduski on 08-30-2012 -- 20:42:32
If you are in this career field to just read manuals and push buttons, then I suggest you go to something easier, like avionics... or .. IDK.. taking out garbage.. or. working at McDonalds.. or.. lol. on a personal note.. try being a greeter at Walmart ( cause I know you have experience in that).  Leave the Metrology for the adults and go back to using your mouth for money.

Someone needs to increase their meds. This is a friendly forum, you might want to check out a little anger management and remember their manners
Sarcasm - Just one more service I offer

CalDude

Quote from: skidaddle skaduski on 08-30-2012 -- 20:42:32
That is where you are retarded.  The USAF doesn't "walk you through, step by step".  I know who you are, and it is people like you that give our career field a bad name.  It takes more than just merely reading through a manual and reading step by step. 

You need to know basics, and fundamentals.. and then use your brain to accomplish a task.  Those that just follow through step by step, loose the important thing, like.. how to make this whole program better.  You can't just believe that the T.O. or Manuf proc is correct, you gotta use your brain. 

I think Skiddaddle was referring to Lost in Place.  Yes, he would be better off at Wal-Mart.  Having worked with him, he is likely to destroy equipment by just plugging it in.  I would not trust him to verify my DVD player.  However, the point is lost in translation.  Even in the 33K procedures, there is a vast difference in writing styles between writers and the government reviewers.  Some use "the" everywhere.  Others do not.  The 33K6 procedures are a vague guide at best.  The 33K3 and 33K4 hold your hand.

I don't expect much from GIDEP procedures no matter which branch it comes from other than a guide for calibration than for verifying the equipment meets or does not meet the OEM specifications. 
"Surely it is the better part of thought that relies on measurement and calculation."  Plato, The Republic

John Treekiller

Lets see, we now have another pinger that registered yesterday.  He is defending skidaddle and knows who skidaddle was talking about.  I'm wondering how that happens.  2 + 2 = 4

djshepp21

Wow, you guys are mean.  And just so you know, I know mean and I'm no stranger to sarcasm.

For the record, almost anyone who worked at the AFPSL T.O. Department in the past few years could figure out who skidaddle was talking about.  We all heard the story about where this particular individual was employed and what the particular individual did prior to being a particular individual at Wright Patterson AFB PMEL or the AFPSL.

Regardless of one's past or the stories that others share, the particular individual could become a better person and prove him or herself.  Have some faith people, and let's keep this civil.

Lost in Place

At least get the story straight, I was pushing carts at Lowes.  I never worked at Wal-Mart. And I have only burned up one microwave oven. Must be talking about someone else.  :roll:

Phys_dim

That was YOU that burned that dern thing up!  LOL!!!   :mrgreen:  all this time I wondered... I should pay attention! 

griff61

Quote from: Lost in Place on 09-06-2012 -- 10:32:15
At least get the story straight, I was pushing carts at Lowes.  I never worked at Wal-Mart. And I have only burned up one microwave oven. Must be talking about someone else.  :roll:
Wait, are you saying they have ovens just for cooking microwaves now?
The future is way cooler when it's in the present...
Sarcasm - Just one more service I offer