What Certifications have you found valuable.

Started by DAVETEE, 06-05-2012 -- 17:27:14

Previous topic - Next topic

DAVETEE

Of course the Holy Grail of qualification for me has been my PMEL school. But it seems the ranks of PMEL trained personel is dwindling and I am wondering what might be another requirement for screening technician.

I know if an indulvidual is PMEL trained I know what to expect.
When someone with civilian training or experience comes in, the skill set is quite varied, almost unpredictable.

One certificate that I had in mind was the ASQ Certified Calibration Technician CCT.

Has anyone had experience with this certification?

My ultimate goal is to obtain a standard by which to measure potential technicians.

Any and all input is appriciated.

Thank you

yonker08

You might think about Sig Sigma training also.
Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go: Prov.22:24

audiodreamscape

I have quite a few years experience  working in the field from commercial to pharmaceutical to defense... Im former military but not formally PMEL trained, however, getting the ASQ Certified Calibration Technician was the best thing I've done...  Four years ago I received it, and back then it was a 4 hour open book comprehensive exam covering all the disciplines including uncertainty analysis. I can say it does give you an advantage when going for a new job/position and I can also say it adds a few more dollars per hour in pay with this certification..

RFCAL

ASQ would be the way to go. Sig Sigma training, although very beneficial, would not get the hands on equipment training you would need for a cal lab technician.

PMEL Whore

SIX Sigma is good if your trying to get into the quality side, but as a tech there is no substitute for hands on the equipment.  Qualifications are nice but if I'm hiring, I want somebody who knows how to do it, not that can pass a test.  You know what else has degrees?  A rectal thermometer.
I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

griff61

Quote from: PMEL Whore on 06-06-2012 -- 09:33:50
SIX Sigma is good if your trying to get into the quality side, but as a tech there is no substitute for hands on the equipment.  Qualifications are nice but if I'm hiring, I want somebody who knows how to do it, not that can pass a test.  You know what else has degrees?  A rectal thermometer.
You got a point there...lol

I would have to say PMEL and OJT is preferable for a bench tech. I think PMEL is still the gold standard. I wasn't really impressed with the CCT when I took it and got my little coin for passing. It seemed to me that it had virtually nothing to do with actually working on equipment. I think it should have been called the Apprentice Metrologist Test instead of CCT.
Sarcasm - Just one more service I offer

NavyCalGuy

I've been researching a lot of civilian cal jobs since I am most likely leaving the Navy in September. I have the DOD (Navy) PMEL training, Six Sigma, and other various electronics (AT "I", FLIR) training as well. From what I can tell the DOD PMEL training is what people really want for calibration jobs. Just took the ASQ CCT exam last Saturday also. I wanted to get more familiar with civilian calibration and see the differences that it has from military calibration. Haven't gotten the results back yet, but the test is still 4 hr, open book. If any employers can shed some light on what else I could do, that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what is more sought...some one who is heavy in electronics, heavy in phys d, or a decent in both? I'm just asking cause I spent my whole time in the Navy working on electronics up until 2 years ago. I was put in Phys D when I got to my current command since thats where they were hurting. Been mostly phys d since then, but still have electronics background to go w/ it as well. Right now I'm the only person in the entire lab that does anything other than electronics. I guess the best way to put it would be that I'm "jack of all trades" type of tech.

Last thing...I am considering any/all job offers at this point. Am sitting about 2 months until I go on terminal leave. Was considering re-enlistment if I can get advanced electronics training or advanced calibration (NEC 6701 or NEC 6718 for those who know those acronyms). I'm about 90% committed to separating unless some awesome orders or training comes available. If anyone wants to see a resume, please just PM me and I would be more than happy to send it to you.

MIRCS

Quote from: NavyCalGuy on 06-06-2012 -- 10:56:33
I've been researching a lot of civilian cal jobs since I am most likely leaving the Navy in September. I have the DOD (Navy) PMEL training, Six Sigma, and other various electronics (AT "I", FLIR) training as well. From what I can tell the DOD PMEL training is what people really want for calibration jobs. Just took the ASQ CCT exam last Saturday also. I wanted to get more familiar with civilian calibration and see the differences that it has from military calibration. Haven't gotten the results back yet, but the test is still 4 hr, open book. If any employers can shed some light on what else I could do, that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what is more sought...some one who is heavy in electronics, heavy in phys d, or a decent in both? I'm just asking cause I spent my whole time in the Navy working on electronics up until 2 years ago. I was put in Phys D when I got to my current command since thats where they were hurting. Been mostly phys d since then, but still have electronics background to go w/ it as well. Right now I'm the only person in the entire lab that does anything other than electronics. I guess the best way to put it would be that I'm "jack of all trades" type of tech.

Last thing...I am considering any/all job offers at this point. Am sitting about 2 months until I go on terminal leave. Was considering re-enlistment if I can get advanced electronics training or advanced calibration (NEC 6701 or NEC 6718 for those who know those acronyms). I'm about 90% committed to separating unless some awesome orders or training comes available. If anyone wants to see a resume, please just PM me and I would be more than happy to send it to you.

It's a damn shame that you can't go to Phys-D school as an AT and really learn all the other parts of Phys-D.  I still don't understand why that is a EM/IC school since the IMs disbanded. 

spanishfly25

when you get out and if you try to find jobs in calibration labs, they prefer heavy electronics, but if you try to get jobs on Pharmaucetical companies, chemical sites, or manufacturing, they prefer Physical dimensional, anything relating with Temperature and pressure is a must.

NavyCalMaster

NavyCalGuy,

I say electronics is the emphasis, but it depends on the company.  For most that is where the money is made.  With an emphasis on RF/Microwave.  If you have any questions PM me.  I was once where you are.

OlDave

When we were recently looking to hire someone I was looking for mass, balances, temperature, humidity, chromatography, uncertainty analysis and organizational skills. I didn't give a tinkers damn about electronics, RF and the microwave is what we warm lunch up in.

NavyCalMaster

If you say so Dave, guess I am wrong.  Electronics knowledge has no place in calibration.

OlDave

Sorry NavyCalMaster, that is NOT what I said. I told you what MY company was looking for. If you look at the previous message from spanishfly25 you can see he agrees that the pharma industry doesn't care (or need) electronics/RF/microwave much. Google MRIGlobal and see that we are NOT a commercial cal lab and have needs unique to our field.

I'm just trying to show there are many more ways to get a decent job in metrology than heavy electronics.

NavyCalMaster

Totally understand Dave, but maybe you should have said that in your original post.  There are different types of labs looking for different skill sets from cal techs.  My post was mainly directed at NavyCalGuy since I understand what kind of training and experience he would have gotten in the Navy and what most commercial cal labs are looking for.  The disciplines that you mentioned are much more specialized.

yonker08

Hey Dave I remember how we had to wear respirators around you when you worked on electronic stuff......hard to burn up a gauge block  :-D
Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go: Prov.22:24