Status of Kirtland PMEL

Started by B-rad 4d, 07-12-2012 -- 06:02:34

Previous topic - Next topic

B-rad 4d

Does anyone know if Kirtland PMEL is going military? They requested a few bodys to go there resently this year and now it is on the EQUAL overseas returnee list. Just wondering so i can factor that in to my dream sheet.
Little Rock '00-'08
Kunsan '09
Aviano '10-'12
Kirtland '13-Present

PMEL Whore

This is the second thread about Kirtland along these lines, either closing or going Military.  Plus they just posted a bunch of new civil service jobs.  Anybody know what the heck is going on for sure?  My experience is rumors are just facts that haven't been confirmed yet.
I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

B-rad 4d

Actually same question for Altus AFB, OK it was on the list too for a TSgt position.
Little Rock '00-'08
Kunsan '09
Aviano '10-'12
Kirtland '13-Present

USMCPMEL

cody1307

Kirkland AFB, Albuqurque, NM. I saw 7 slots advertised there for civil service. It's been a contract lab from waaay back. I guess like Hickam, they're going to rehire those folks that are already there and convert the whole thing to civil service.

Mike

Kirtland is already civil service, and has been for a few years.  The 7 advertised jobs are for new hires.

The military position is, I believe, attached to the AFRL and doesn't work at the PMEL.

Mr.Steve

To all:  Kirtland PMEL is in transition again.  I worked there from 1985 to 2001 as both a G.I and civilian technician and supervisor and I'm still in contact with many of the people who work there.  From my arrival in 85, it was a mixture of Active duty and civil service with a civilian as the Flight Chief.  In 1996-97 time frame the lab went under a A76 study and became an Most Efficient Organization (MEO), thus making it an all civil service lab.  All the G.I.'s positions were removed.  With a significant change in work load, mainly due to the AFRL bringing more equipment and the not so efficent Civilan Personnel System and the lack of support from AFMC to hire on more bodies the lab fell behind in both production and quality.  Sometimes things have to actually break before it can be fixed.  The process of bringing a once Superior place to work and live back to life is a work in progress.  The seven civil service openings currently available are mainly due to support an increased workload and the attrition of employees.  Yes, the Kirtland PMEL has been re-authorized military positions and G.I.s will see assignments to Albuquerque, as to what rank and what positions the G.I.s will fill is still being worked out.  Nevertheless, Kirtland AFB PMEL is on its way to become once again a place almost everybody will want to work.  I miss my days at Kirtland and Albuquerque and I would love to return but due to timing and some personal reasons I can't just yet.  The person you need to contact is Mr. Bob Eslinger, he is the Flight Chief at Kirtland.  I hope this answers most questions about the Kirtland PMEL. 
Be Kewl!!!!

Mr.Steve

Just a second note:  Kirtland PMEL has NEVER been a contract lab!
Be Kewl!!!!

PMEL Whore

Sounds like this is the answer I was looking for, somebody with some actual knowledge of the situation.  I knew it was MEO and never a contract lab, and knew that it had had it's issues, but didn't it was returning to a mix of GI and Civilian.  Thanks for clearing it up.
I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

cody1307

Great info, thanks for the corrections.

Hoopty

Kirtland was my first duty station and I was there from 95 to 98.  Had to PCS due to the A76.

It really was a great place to work and live.  Except for that one scheduler.... 

J/K Mr. Steve!
There are only 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.   :wink:

B-rad 4d

Thanks for the info Steve. Sounds like it is a nice place to work. I will more than likely be putting that on top of my dream sheet.
Little Rock '00-'08
Kunsan '09
Aviano '10-'12
Kirtland '13-Present

dielco

The Altus position might be for contractor oversight. 

yonker08

00-20-14 should have all the labs listed in the back with their type of operation.
Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go: Prov.22:24

obp42

I'm wondering if what we are seeing here at Kirtland and Hickham are the start of a trend?  Some time back a friend of mine told me that during an AFMETCAL out brief that the Air Force was going back to a mix of civil service and military in the PMELs.  No insult intended but the civil service labs have not performed that well since having these contracts awarded.  Curious to see how this all works out.