What career field is calibration under in the Navy?

Started by scottbp, 07-25-2012 -- 13:31:16

Previous topic - Next topic

scottbp

I have a nephew who is contemplating joining the Navy. What career field/military occupational specialty would calibration and metrology fall under?
Kirk: "Scotty you're confined to quarters." Scotty: "Thank you, Captain! Now I have a chance to catch up on my technical journals!"

spanishfly25

I think what scottbp wants to know is the actual job number, like when I was in the Air force our field was 324X0, I think now is a different number.

ck454ss

Quote from: spanishfly25 on 07-26-2012 -- 09:39:12
I think what scottbp wants to know is the actual job number, like when I was in the Air force our field was 324X0, I think now is a different number.

If he is joining the Navy he needs to join as an Electronics Tech first and pass school then hope he gets lucky enough to pick up calibration orders.  Those are usually taken up by those reenlisting as its pretty cake duty.  Ive been out for a bit but I know Cal was 1588 but discontinued I think its 1589 now but that may have changed also.

Sarge

The cal techs come from the AT ranks on the air side.

RFCAL

spanishfly25

Quote from: scottbp on 07-25-2012 -- 13:31:16
I have a nephew who is contemplating joining the Navy. What career field/military occupational specialty would calibration and metrology fall under?
he should join the Air Force with PMEL from day one

scottbp

When I was in the Army, TMDE was 35H, and biomed equip. was 35G, and automatic test equipment (ATE) was 39B. I think all electronics was smushed together under 35E by the time I got out in '93, but I don't know what it is now...
Kirk: "Scotty you're confined to quarters." Scotty: "Thank you, Captain! Now I have a chance to catch up on my technical journals!"

Bryan

Army is 94H these days, I am under the impression it's a smaller field than my days (mid 80s)

CalibratorJ

Quote from: Bryan on 07-27-2012 -- 13:31:44
Army is 94H these days, I am under the impression it's a smaller field than my days (mid 80s)

You are correct, the field is considerably smaller, maybe 150 total (if you are lucky), since the SFCs aren't Hotels anymore......

NavyCalMaster

I retired from the Navy just under two years ago and taught the Advanced Cal school at Keesler for 3 years.  The amount of Aviation Electronics Techs (AT rating) far out numbers the Electronics Techs (ET rating) going through the school, so AT is the best route into the field.  However, no matter what a recruiter says, there is no way they can guarantee that school.  It is what the Navy calls a "C" school and can only be awarded as follow on orders after "A" school.

USMCPMEL

When I was in the Marines the field was 6492 I got a $5000 bonus for signing up for that field and I was able to pick my first base.

MIRCS

There was only one true calibration field in the Navy and it went away over a decade ago.......Instrumentmen (IM's)

jimmyc

Quote from: RFCAL on 07-26-2012 -- 11:16:40
Ditto that. I came from the AQ ranks

AQ's are long gone.  i was an AQ in the corps (AWG-10s)