Air Force Primary Standards Lab

Started by Metrology Scribe, 08-27-2012 -- 17:51:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Metrology Scribe

Does everyone know about the little community of Heath Ohio?  Which happens to be the location of the Air Force Metrology program headquarters and the Air Force Primary Standards Laboratory.  This area in central Ohio is great.  The setting is generally rural, agricultural, but within a short 30 minute commute a person is in the booming metropolis of Columbus.  It is two or three hours away from Pittsburgh PA, where the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Pittsburgh Penguins are located.  It is four hours away from the Cleveland / Lake Erie area, where the Cleveland Browns, the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Cleveland Indians are located.  It is three to four hours away from Indianapolis, where the Indianapolis Colts and the Indianapolis Pacers are located.   It is three to four hours away from Louisville Kentucky where?  Well we cannot say what goes on down in Kentucky on this family friendly forum?   No, just kidding there is the Kentucky Speedway for those Nascar fans.  And last but not least it is an hour away from Columbus where the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Columbus Clippers, and the Columbus Crew are located.  And Columbus is where The Ohio State Buckeyes are located.  Heath Ohio is just a few miles north of Buckeye Lake which provides some nice outdoor water activities and Alum Creek Lake is within an hour or so driving distance.  For those more practical minded folks, the Ohio public education system is ranked 6th in the nation as reported by USNews.   The Ohio sales tax rate for 2012 is 5.5% and the Licking County tax rate is 1.5% for a combined local sales tax rate of 7%.  The median house value in Licking County is $110,700 and the median rental cost is $504.   The one good thing in the Ohio tax code is that military retirement income is not taxed.  Just a few notables for anyone thinking of moving to the area where the United States Air Force Primary Standards Laboratory is located.   

PMEL Whore

Nice information!  These are all things that need to be considered before making a move to an area.  From experience, I agree that this is a nice place to live.
I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

Lost in Place

The scribe missed the best part, there is a Red Lobster AND Olive Garden so close to the facility that you can go there for lunch. The people and the city are both very good. Oh and don't forget about the MOPAR nationals.  Endless amounts of fun!!! :-D

USMCPMEL

I just drove through there the other day on I 70 looked pretty good at 75 miles per hour... :evil:

CalibratorJ

Sounds very nice, maybe nicer than Huntsvegas. Any civil service openings yet?

skidaddle skaduski

I live very close to there and have been applying there, and have prior experience there, and AF experience there.  I have 10+ years in RF strictly, IDK.  Maybe there's something you're looking for that I don't have, but, I have no issues doing anything, because calibration is in my blood, traceable and honest processes is what I live for.  I really wish I get a chance to get on board here, seeing that I live there, and the AFPSL has had jobs open for months, and yet I live in the area and can't get onto the path that I started from.  Again, let me know if you want someone, within the area, ( no relocation ) that is metrology trained, knows the AF system in and out, and has prior experience.  If not, the it is evidence that this is just another good old boys network and there's no sense of applying here, as they know who they are going to hire before they put the job post.  I am right next door here, all the credientials.... no call.... I don't get it.

griff61

Quote from: skidaddle skaduski on 08-30-2012 -- 18:21:01
If not, the it is evidence that this is just another good old boys network and there's no sense of applying here, as they know who they are going to hire before they put the job post.  I am right next door here, all the credientials.... no call.... I don't get it.

Perhaps it is your attitude?
Sarcasm - Just one more service I offer

CalibratorJ

I live very close to there and have been applying there, and have prior experience there, and AF experience there. 

I take it you don't live in Huntsville anymore?

Bryan

I live very close to there and have been applying there, and have prior experience there, and AF experience there. 

yea....... It appears they are familiar with you, check the mirror.

CalibratorJ

Ok, just checking. Thought maybe he was confusing the AFPSL with the APSL, since his profile states Huntsville. Thanks.

HarryBee

I thought he still lived in Huntsville.  He has family in Ohio and used to work in Ohio at Wright Pat for a short while.  I worked with him for about 3 months.  Guy was atrain wreck on heavy meds but he also had really serious issues in family life.  (is why I give him benefit of the doubt even if we almost got into a fight at work one day)  :x