Calibration Procedures (T.O.s)

Started by Metrology Scribe, 08-29-2012 -- 16:42:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Metrology Scribe

Has anyone given thought to how the documents we call "Calibration Procedures" or "T.O.s" come into existence?   Who formulates the wording of those preliminary steps, those "NOTES", or what parameters are in Table 1?   Who decides what standards are used to certify a test instrument (TI)?

flow

More than likely the wording came from the MFG.

Broken_Wings

There is a MIL STD that they use and there is also a standard format. The format file used to be available on the AFMETCAL public page which is located at www.robins.af.mil . If you'd like to know more contact Bionetics or read the job openings that have been posted for writers in the past.
  Also evaluations on new procedures and AFTO 22s play a part in things. The file is about .5 MB and you may be able to find it as AFD-070523-020.pdf
Here's a snippet
"AFMETCAL TO GUIDE & REQUIREMENTS
The objective and purpose of the TO Guide and Requirements document is to provide consistency in the interpretation of MIL-PRF-38793 and MIL-STD-38784. Additional interpretations are included only to the extent necessary to clearly and concisely convey Air Force Metrology and Calibration Program Requirements. This document will be used in the production and review of Air Force 33K-series Technical Orders, with the intent of providing technical orders written to a level that an inexperienced troop can perform the tasks with minimal supervision. This is to be a living document to be revised whenever there is a need. Changes will be discussed prior to incorporation into this document, but AFMETCAL reserves the right to make changes if necessary to ensure the level of quality required by the Air Force Primary Standards Laboratory."
"My wings have healed." - Probably a parrot said this.

MIRCS

Navy uses 17-35TR-04 for the formatting

skidaddle skaduski

I do, because I used to work there, creating the TO's.  Let me know if you need any of those positions filled, becasue we all know that it's not an easy task and training is not cheap!!  :wink: