Do you have to be certified to work in calibration in your state?

Started by USMCPMEL, 09-24-2012 -- 16:40:55

Previous topic - Next topic

USMCPMEL

My friend told me that in Kentucky you are not allowed to "train" to be a calibration technician. He said that his boss got in trouble for hiring someone for calibration without schooling or a military background.

griff61

Sarcasm - Just one more service I offer

USMCPMEL

I think it would be a good idea. I see people "trained " in calibration that do not know even the fundamentals. All they know how to do is press buttons with no clear understanding of what they are actually doing. If you gave them specs on a meter and asked them how to calibrate it they could not tell you.

griff61

Quote from: USMCPMEL on 09-24-2012 -- 18:22:11
I think it would be a good idea. I see people "trained " in calibration that do not know even the fundamentals. All they know how to do is press buttons with no clear understanding of what they are actually doing. If you gave them specs on a meter and asked them how to calibrate it they could not tell you.

Trained calibrators are always better, but I haven't seen any State that required it. It would probably make it more popular and desirable to have it set as a course in more colleges if it led to a required certification.
A little training never hurt anyone...much

measure

Quote from: USMCPMEL on 09-24-2012 -- 18:22:11

You forgot one thing: Organizations can pay them less, too. Anyone who has decent skills won't work for what some places pay.

USMCPMEL

I applied at a shop locally they wanted to pay me $18 an hour. 20++ years calibration experience and I can work on anything...

scottbp

Where I live you have to be licensed by the state department of weights and measures if you are calibrating anything where commerce is involved; e.g. scales where any food item is weighed out, truck scales, water meters, gas pumps, etc. but there is no requirement as to how the education was obtained, whether it's formal schooling or OJT. There are people out there who are expertly competent, yet have had no formal schooling (or their schooling was in an unrelated subject), and there are others who have been through formal schooling and seem to have skated their way through without picking up anything. It is usually up to the licensing board to determine (through examination or whatever) if the person is competent enough to do the job.
Kirk: "Scotty you're confined to quarters." Scotty: "Thank you, Captain! Now I have a chance to catch up on my technical journals!"

Martin

Quote from: scottbp on 09-25-2012 -- 09:19:58
There are people out there who are expertly competent, yet have had no formal schooling (or their schooling was in an unrelated subject), and there are others who have been through formal schooling and seem to have skated their way through without picking up anything.

True statement...

Smokey

QuoteThere are people out there who are expertly competent, yet have had no formal schooling (or their schooling was in an unrelated subject), and there are others who have been through formal schooling and seem to have skated their way through without picking up anything.

I like to think I am expertly incompetent and have been roller skating my way through picking up everything worthless to everyone, but I digress!  :oops:

griff61

Quote from: Smokey on 09-25-2012 -- 14:04:43
I like to think I am expertly incompetent and have been roller skating my way through picking up everything worthless to everyone, but I digress!  :oops:

Inline skates, old school or ice?

USMCPMEL

I like ice better when you fall on concrete you lose too much skin.

Smokey

jimmyc

Quote from: USMCPMEL on 09-24-2012 -- 16:40:55
My friend told me that in Kentucky you are not allowed to "train" to be a calibration technician. He said that his boss got in trouble for hiring someone for calibration without schooling or a military background.
some gov contracts require trained personnel, training is not allowed.  my job is one, i cannot train for a job the Gov hired me to be the SME on.  some contracts will allow a certain percentage, or skill percentage (e.g. they may hire an electronics tech with an associates in elec. to do calibration but maybe only one and they will have to meet the requirements for the job after X amount of time)  look at some job posting here, PMEL school and x, or associates and X+...etc.

griff61

Quote from: USMCPMEL on 09-26-2012 -- 11:45:59
What is old school?
4 wheels, side by side, 2 in front, 2 in the rear, usually has a key and can be attached to regular shoes.