MET/CAL License

Started by CalLabSolutions, 11-30-2012 -- 12:10:38

Previous topic - Next topic

CalLabSolutions

Hello,
I have a customer that is looking to purchase two Used MET/CAL Licenses.  They are wanting versions MET/CAL 7.2 or 7.3. 
If you have offical license and can show that they are valid I will put you in touch with my customer.

Mike.
Michael L. Schwartz
Automation Engineer
Cal Lab Solutions
  Web -  http://www.callabsolutions.com
Phone - 303.317.6670

RFCAL

USMC kalibrater

A Metcal license has to be one of the quickest ROIs out there...no sense in buying used
Jason
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -General James Mattis

griff61

Quote from: USMC kalibrater on 12-03-2012 -- 04:54:53
A Metcal license has to be one of the quickest ROIs out there...no sense in buying used
Now if we could just get the military to figure that out...
Sarcasm - Just one more service I offer

USMCPMEL

What does it matter if you buy it "used"? Will it work any different? I am not being a smart A I just don't understand what the difference is?

CalLabSolutions

Well I was not a Fly on the wall at that point in time..

I am sure I will hear about this from the Fluke People, but Fluke came and gave then the whole demo of their current product.  And long story short, they want an older version.

Mike.
Michael L. Schwartz
Automation Engineer
Cal Lab Solutions
Phone - 303.317.6670

CalLabSolutions

Quote from: griff61 on 12-03-2012 -- 06:48:06
Now if we could just get the military to figure that out...
Sometimes I think the Government is penny wise and pound foolish.   But you and I only get to see one small corner of the whole system.  I know in the past when I was able to reseach things, get all the information.  I could see their point of view.  (That is not saying I agreed with it, only that I could see it.)

Mike

Michael L. Schwartz
Automation Engineer
Cal Lab Solutions
Phone - 303.317.6670

USMC kalibrater

Why why why would someone want anything less than 8.0?  We just upgraded and started running Metcal 8.0 server based...its awesome.  The new editor is great...no way would I go back to 7.xx version.
Jason
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -General James Mattis

USMC kalibrater

Also I think its good the DoD hasnt started running Metcal yet, I think a person should know how to run things manual before the get into automation.  How much knowledge would a young Metrologist be cheated out of if they didnt have to learn how to use the equipment they were calibrating.
Automation in the hands of an experienced knowledgeable tech is pure $$$$
Jason

RFCAL

Metcal 8 sucks!! We are seriously considering going back to 7.2. There are too many older programs that will not run on 8.0 and are not supported by Fluke Gold. Someone has to sit there and make the corrections.

griff61

Quote from: USMC kalibrater on 12-03-2012 -- 11:31:43
Also I think its good the DoD hasnt started running Metcal yet, I think a person should know how to run things manual before the get into automation.  How much knowledge would a young Metrologist be cheated out of if they didnt have to learn how to use the equipment they were calibrating.

I would agree, except that they are paying to reinvent automated calibration and package it undera different name (and not exactly automated either) IMHO, it would be more cost effective to simply adopt what already works rather than spend time on trial and error.
Also, automating the procedure for a handheld meter with no interface is a waste of time compared to microwave equipment.
Sarcasm - Just one more service I offer

USMC kalibrater

In an apples to apples calibration, manual calibration vs Metcal.  A good tech might....might beat Metcal one time calibrating a hh DMM.  He wont beat it ten times in a row, again running each and every test that Metcal runs, a tech alone cannot do ANY calibration faster.
Ill bet on that!
Jason

USMC kalibrater

I agree though the real benefit is in RF...full data on a spec in in under two hours!  Hell Yeah!
Also as far as 7.x to 8.X  I can write and edit.  I have been able to easily move some of the older procs to 8.0.
We moved to a server based setup, much more stable alot less issues than the older version. 
Jason

CalibratorJ

Quote from: griff61 on 12-03-2012 -- 17:20:20
Quote from: USMC kalibrater on 12-03-2012 -- 11:31:43

I would agree, except that they are paying to reinvent automated calibration and package it undera different name (and not exactly automated either) IMHO, it would be more cost effective to simply adopt what already works rather than spend time on trial and error.
Also, automating the procedure for a handheld meter with no interface is a waste of time compared to microwave equipment.

I agree, but I also see the other side of the coin (at least in the Army's eyes). Unfortunately, the only OFFICIAL procedure is the written TB. All they are allowed to do (until someone with a brain gets in charge of certain areas) is automate the written procedure. Which, is why the automated procedures look like, feel like, and even have the same stupid typos and mistakes in them as the written procedures. So glad I don;t have to use them. But, I am also using HTBasic for most of the stuff I do, which is almost worse IMHO..... almost.

CalLabSolutions

That is the thing.. Most people think software is easy.  But there is a lot of work that goes into writing good quality automation.. (And it is never perfect.) 

Most companies when they deal with the government have dollar signs in their eyes.  So they want to license the software just like the do in the commercial world.   I believe, that is the biggest reason the government writes their own software.

What the metrology industry needs is a partnership with a software company, the military and industry.  We all test equipment the same way.  There maybe different test points and test that are skipped.  But DC Volts is DC Volts.

Mike.
Michael L. Schwartz
Automation Engineer
Cal Lab Solutions
Phone - 303.317.6670