Agilent N series Noise Source

Started by retiredAFinSD, 12-13-2012 -- 12:26:43

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredAFinSD

I am trying to find a calibration procedure for the Agilent N series Noise Sources.
If anybody has it available please contact me, as we want to support our customer's and not have to send them to Agilent for calibration.

Bryan

Agilent has the N2002A that may be useful, never used one, don't know that I have ever seen one.  Guess it depends on how many you are supporting to justify or not.  I'd suspect Agilent holds the access to storing the correction data pretty close to the vest.

CalLabSolutions

We have an Application called Noise Source SAM.. It is a Noise Source Calibration program that will calibrate both the N2000 Noise Sources (including program the EEPROM) and print the labels for the older Noise Sources..

We are also Agilent Solution Partners so we can deliver you a turn-key solution.. Hardware and software.   Just drop me a line  MSchwartz@CalLabSolutions.com

Mike
Michael L. Schwartz
Automation Engineer
Cal Lab Solutions
  Web -  http://www.callabsolutions.com
Phone - 303.317.6670

CalibratorJ

Quote from: Bryan on 12-13-2012 -- 14:26:09
Agilent has the N2002A that may be useful, never used one, don't know that I have ever seen one.  Guess it depends on how many you are supporting to justify or not.  I'd suspect Agilent holds the access to storing the correction data pretty close to the vest.

I think we looked at the N2002A, it is supposed to come with the software to perform the calibrations, if I remember correctly. If you are already using a NFA, why not contact your local Agilent Field Engineer and make the inquiry? No, I don't work for Agilent, but sooner or later, I am sure we will have to come up with something for the SNS as well, as it seems they are becoming more common in the Army inventory. Fun stuff, making noise that is.

CalLabSolutions

Most labs calibrate noise source like they do power sensors.  They compair one noise source to another, run some math and calculate the ENR values.  Except at the primarly level. That is done completly different and most labs can't afford that investment.

The N2000 are calibrated just like the 346 noise sources.. Only when you are done you have to upload the EEPROM.  And that requires an Agilent NFA.

Mike

Michael L. Schwartz
Automation Engineer
Cal Lab Solutions
  Web -  http://www.callabsolutions.com
Phone - 303.317.6670

CalibratorJ

No, most labs cannot afford cryogenic systems, or even a NIST calibrated noise source, and have to stick with OEM calibrations.

I think you confused the N2002A test set that accompanies the NFA (with additional $$ investment) to perform noise source to noise source calibrations with the N400XA series noise sources.

But, in researching the N2002A (to make sure I had the right model number), the manual for it does contain a manual procedure to upload new ENR values to the N400XA series of noise sources, using a NFA, of course, which actually helps me as well, as now I can look at expanding our own capability to include the N4000Xs.

So, back to the OP, if you check the N2002A Noise Source Test Set's Users Manual, it has a procedure you can use, if you have the required equipment and a set of standard noise sources.

Hope that clarifies things. Unfortunately, I have had the recent pleasure of replacing our old 8970B noise source system with a NFA. Currently working on bringing a new cryogenic system online now, with a lot of engineering and programming support. Still a bit leery of working with liquid nitrogen though.