Looking for a Sweeney Model 1000 Tachometer Tester

Started by niagarasci, 01-25-2013 -- 13:42:27

Previous topic - Next topic

niagarasci

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a Sweeney Model 1000 Tachometer Tester for sale? I've looked around online quite a bit but haven't found them anywhere. I know these are an older unit which makes them a bit harder to come by.
If anyone knows of another cost effective entry level mechanical/handheld tachometer tester, that would be great too. Used/refurbished units would be fine for our need.

spanishfly25

niagarasci

Thanks Spanish but I'm not actually looking for a tachometer itself. I'm looking for one of the motorized units (like the Sweeney model 1000)thats used to to calibrate/verify tachometers like that Monrach tach you referenced.

OlDave

I would guess that anyone younger than 40 has never seen/used an old Sweeney.

jimmyc

i am a little older and have never either, i have seen many a ttu-27 though

niagarasci

The Sweeney 1000 is what is referenced in a procedure I was looking at and I hadn't heard of the Sweeney other than that. It looks like an antique based on the images in the document. I've requested quotes on "current models" from the few manufacturers I've found but they all seem to run around $10-15k and up, which seems like overkill for my needs which is testing inexpensive low accuracy handheld tachs.

ck454ss

For mechanical or photo tach cals?  Or for both?

niagarasci

ck454ss

We built a system with a VFD and a high speed motor for Mechanical Tachs. Only cost a few thou to build.

niagarasci

I had considered that. Do you have any plans/schematics for the system you put together? If so, any chance I could check them out?

spanishfly25

oops sorry, I read tachometer and tester was in the next line....sorry,
I join the Air Force PMEL on 1981 and I don't remember the Sweeney. now for the very few mechanical tachometers that we have, we put the tachometer against a motor and measure the speed of the motor with a laser Tach that we have. the laser Tach cost $200 and we have many motors for other applications.

niagarasci

Wouldn't the TUR for that method be just about 1:1 though?

OlDave

QuoteWouldn't the TUR for that method be just about 1:1 though?
Well that would depend on the specs of the UUT and the standard. For the tachometer in the example referenced by spanishfly, the "contact" accuracy is ±0.5% and the "non-contact" accuracy is ±0.01%. So that is somewhere near 50:1. Good enough.

Here is a link describing the old Sweeney (for all you youngsters).
http://armymunitions.tpub.com/MM04868/MM048680087.htm

Honestly, in today's world, the Sweeney probably wouldn't even be considered traceable since it derives its accuracy from the accuracy and stability of the 60 Hz. power grid.

yonker08

I don't know what we would do without you old guys Dave :evil:
Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go: Prov.22:24