VRAP Program

Started by yonker08, 02-22-2013 -- 08:52:12

Previous topic - Next topic

yonker08

All
This program is still open for any Vet that maybe looking for some further education. It's for any Vet who is up to 60 years old (missed it by that much!). Here's a link:  http://benefits.va.gov/vow/education.htm
Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go: Prov.22:24

USMCPMEL

Has anyone ever done this?? Just wondering how it works? Seems like it is pretty limited as far as programs go.

Hawaii596

One noteworthy detail I saw is it is NOT for those with honorable discharges.  One of the qualifications for eligibility is that you received an other than honorable discharge, be unemployed, etc.  So honorably discharged vets are not eligible.
"I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind."
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)
from lecture to the Institute of Civil Engineers, 3 May 1883

Snap

Quote from: Hawaii596 on 04-01-2013 -- 10:46:28
One noteworthy detail I saw is it is NOT for those with honorable discharges.  One of the qualifications for eligibility is that you received an other than honorable discharge, be unemployed, etc.  So honorably discharged vets are not eligible.

The way I read it is "received an other than dishonorable discharge"

Hawaii596

I think we're saying the same thing.  This looks like a gap program for OTH (Other Than Honorable) vets to help unemployment issues.  Honorably discharged vets get a variety of benefits that I think OTH vets aren't eligible for.
"I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind."
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)

CalibratorJ

Seems like it is for any vet with any type of discharge other than dishonorable.

And you have to have no GI Bill benefits, VA retraining, etc etc. Everyone gets GI Bill benefits now after serving XX months (not sure on time frame, too lazy to look it up).

This really seems like welfare for folks who signed up recently and didn't make the cut through basic training/tech school/AIT/whatever, but did get any type of discharge besides dishonorable OR a great opportunity for the folks who were in post vietnam but pre 9/11 that didn't signup for the GI Bill.

Sorry, I am getting sick of seeing money being thrown at a problem in such a haphazard way and the politicians saying they are doing all they can to help veterans........

Hawaii596

OOPS!!!  Sorry, my misread on that.  I take back my comments.  I remember the OTH discharges and my subconscious wanted to read it that way, I guess.  That does indeed change the breadth of the benefit.  Yes, it is other than dishonorable.  So it is for basically everyone who did not get a dishonorable discharge.
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)

yonker08

OK, I'm cooled down now :x.
I was going to mention that my wife signed up and was HONORABLE!! discharged from both the AF & Air Guard. We were both under the old..old GI bill which ran out many years ago. She got in just under the age limit (no not going there), anyway whether it's a hand out or not I'm not in a place to say. I will say she is way more appreciative of it then the pin-headed kids that she is in the classes with. I don't know how they are getting paid, but once the checks are in they get pretty scarce. Anyway it is a way to get some upgrade training or some kind of certification that may aid in your career.
Carry on, I'm happy now. :lol:
Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go: Prov.22:24

Hawaii596

Sorry again.  I didn't mean to cause a stir from my misread.  Glad everyone is happy. 
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)