Anyone have any experience working for a cal lab as a sub contractor?

Started by USMCPMEL, 02-22-2013 -- 22:36:59

Previous topic - Next topic

USMCPMEL

I was approached about a position part time working for a lab as a sub contract6or but they were vague about the details. Anyone have any insight?

CalLabSolutions

I have talked to some companies that are looking to do contractors in place of employees.  It saves the company money; they don't have to pay retirement, unemployment insurance, double your social security, the list goes on and on..

There are some rules though that most of the companies don't follow.. Things like, they can't set your hours, you have to provide your own tools.  Another long list, of do's and don'ts that very from state to state. 

There can be some tax advantages to it though.. You can write more stuff off on your taxes.  Things like milage, cloths, tools.. Again another long list.

In the end.  I think it comes down to the person, and how you want to work.

You can ping me offline.  I have talked to some people who have been happy with a company, and others that have gotten the royal shaft.   Just depends on the situation and the company.

Mike
Michael L. Schwartz
Automation Engineer
Cal Lab Solutions
  Web -  http://www.callabsolutions.com
Phone - 303.317.6670

Lost in Place

I worked as a Contractor last year for seven months. I was a mixed bag for me.  The items Mike listed were correct and I did in fact make money on the endeavor. However, the contract was terminated early and when this happens there typically no recourse.  Would I do it again?  Yes, I learned a get deal and given opportunities that you might not otherwise get. However, I would be more adamant about termination clauses.  You may also message me if you have specific questions.

spanishfly25

in my last 10 years all I done is contract jobs. some companies hire contractors and contractors stay there for ever and ever. but sometimes you get a new manager that likes a different company or they find a cheaper company that can do what you do. and your company gets the boot. in that case the new hire company may keep you or let you go. also if your main company is big, they can just move you to another contract. I guess all depends in your contract and situation.  in general contractors get more pay but less beneficts.  good luck