WORLD METROLOGY DAY 2013 - May 20th

Started by Hawaii596, 04-16-2013 -- 08:15:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawaii596

Don't forget World Metrology Day is coming up.  How will you celebrate.  I think we should all take our favorite measurement standard out to dinner.  Mine is a toss up between my Fluke 792A, ESI SR104 10 K, and Fluke 8508A.

What's your favorite measurement standard, and how will you honor it?
"I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind."
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)
from lecture to the Institute of Civil Engineers, 3 May 1883

metrologygeek

My fav is my Jarrett triple point of water. It's not too much fun outside of it's bath, though. It must be the alcohol I spike the bath with. Once you've gone intrinsic, you'll never go back.

Hawaii596

I'm sitting here looking just a few feet away at my Hart -40 C to +125 C stirred bath for my triple point.  And just around the corner in a cabinet, just a little further, is the triple point (Isotech) in its protective box.  Wise words about going intrinsic.
"I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind."
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)

CalLabSolutions

We need to promote "Take your Metrologist to Lunch!"  Like that do for Secretary's Day!
Michael L. Schwartz
Automation Engineer
Cal Lab Solutions
  Web -  http://www.callabsolutions.com
Phone - 303.317.6670

scottbp

I think I'll cook a steak sous-vide style in our Hart Scientific 7341 deep-well bath...
Kirk: "Scotty you're confined to quarters." Scotty: "Thank you, Captain! Now I have a chance to catch up on my technical journals!"

Hawaii596

We have a copper furnace that goes to about 1200 C or so.  I could cook some filet mignons the way Ruth's Chris Steakhouse does at 800 F
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)

USMC kalibrater

I think we should promote take your Metrologist to lunch day...everyday.
Jason
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -General James Mattis

Hawaii596

Maybe we could start a movement.  The biggest hurdle is explaining to the world at large what metrology is.  I don't know how many times I've had peoplethink I was a meteoroligist.
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)

yonker08

I probably mentioned this old yard before, when I started out in CC for the Air Guard we had acquired the motorhome from AGMC they used for the Bi-Centennial. We converted it over to a mobile lab to support the Guard throughout the Mid-West, anyway for awhile it was painted AF blue with a big round AGMC emblem on it, we stopped at a restaurant on one of the trips and two little old ladies (I was young then) in the next booth saw it and was talking about it, finally deciding it had something to do with the weather. Tornado chasing I guess.I probably mentioned this old yard before, when I started out in CC for the Air Guard we had acquired the motorhome from AGMC they used for the Bi-Centennial. We converted it over to a mobile lab to support the Guard throughout the Mid-West, anyway for awhile it was painted AF blue with a big round AGMC emblem on it, we stopped at a restaurant on one of the trips and two little old ladies (I was young then) in the next booth saw it and was talking about it, finally deciding it had something to do with the weather. Tornado chasing I guess.
Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go: Prov.22:24

USMCPMEL

I think I read that story before.
I think I read that story before........... :evil:

yonker08

Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go: Prov.22:24

Hawaii596

Happy World Metrology Day everyone.  How is everyone's celebrations going?
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)

griff61

Sarcasm - Just one more service I offer

griff61

Sarcasm - Just one more service I offer

Bryan

I made a cake & brought it to work.
Preparation included measurements of volume, temperature & time.