Why am I still a Pinger!

Started by Velasco, 07-31-2013 -- 20:46:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Velasco

LOL,
How many of you don't know what "pinger" is? I hated being called that in tech school. I found a phase 4 card the 1st day I was there on the ground so I could leave base, etc.

PS: Ha posting this moved me up to 3 lvl YAY! :evil:

USMCPMEL

Where and when did you go to school??? I was allowed off base basically from day one as far as I remember??

griff61

Quote from: USMCPMEL on 07-31-2013 -- 21:11:41
Where and when did you go to school??? I was allowed off base basically from day one as far as I remember??
Me too, back in 1989/90...don't remember anyone being restricted...
Sarcasm - Just one more service I offer

Velasco

Mid 90's turned 28 in basic. Was at Keesler.  I lived in Colorado prior to AF so I know what I was missing. They had 4 phases (maybe 5) verifyable by a colored card you had to carry.  Phase 1 for pingers was a virtual lockdown carrying that gawd awful flashlight all over. It took a while to get to top phase, so finding that card was like gold!

yonker08

Free rein at Lowry in 72. Just had to march to chow and class, but we had a stagglers pass because we were to far away from the chow hall and school. At some point in time the slick sleeves were given liberty to wander which let them get out and cause all sorts of havoc.
Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go: Prov.22:24

spanishfly25

I went to school on 1981 and our squadron dorm was full, so they put me on the 42nd squadron's dorms, we (PMEL students) were allowed to go anywhere but the students on the 42nd squadron wasn't allowed to go out. They even had to pull guard on the hallways of the dorm, they were treated like boot camp. but then again, their school was only 4 weeks long

Bryan

I was Army & went through the Lowry basic course in 83, depending on the shift you werre attending class you had varying degrees of freedom, might have to do some PT and make a formation and march off to school, later shifts not so much.  I went back in 87 for the Army advanced course and it had changed considerably and the guys going thru the basic course had to put up with drill sgts & the like but I was there tdy at the time so stayed in the NCO billits.

CalLabSolutions

I have been in this industry for 20 years now.. And I am smart enough to know "I am still a pinger."
Most areas of metrology I can have an intelligent conversation with you about. Give me a procedure and I can calibrate something.  But if you were to take all the things I know, and all the things I don't know..  "I am still a Pinger!"
Michael L. Schwartz
Automation Engineer
Cal Lab Solutions
  Web -  http://www.callabsolutions.com
Phone - 303.317.6670

spanishfly25

Our field grows very fast, is hard to keep up with everything new that is coming out, and we still have to learn the very old stuff. we are looking a wireless sensors for temperature, that transmitts to the network, no need for chart recorders any more and we can monitor the temperature from anywhere, just type in the IP Address of the sensor.

Hawaii596

I sometimes explain the field in muh the same way, Michael.  It is like a few hundred different fields.  None of us can learn all of them in a life time.  We just keep adding fields to our repertoir.  As new technologies come out (as they so often keep doing), it is like adding a new field.
"I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind."
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)
from lecture to the Institute of Civil Engineers, 3 May 1883

Twhman138

I believe you should always consider yourself a pinger. It's when you wind up thinking you need no more training and you know everything that you put a stopper in your future. My life is a series of educated guesses (generally, if it's uneducated then i let the person know then go do some research). Also went to Keesler for school, when i was there we didn't have to wait to go off base though the Airmen and Seamen did. Though it was hilarious, i was issued a "smoking card" while i was there. They made it so none of the Airmen could smoke so all Marines were issued a card to let them smoke on base