Intro To Calibration for Support Personnel

Started by Hawaii596, 03-13-2014 -- 10:03:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawaii596

I want to put together an "INTRO TO CALIBRATION FOR SUPPORT PERSONNEL" class for our support people.  All of you working in various types of labs I think will know what I am thinking of.  Does anyone out there have a good powerpoint or something like that they'd care to share.  I am thinking of one or two 4 hour classes.  If anyone has done this, I'd like to hear thoughts on things to include/exclude.  One comment I already received is stay away from the Physics aspects.  Enough details to help our support staff better understand what we do in the lab.  I was even thinking of setting up a few hands on lab items that they could easily and safely do.  We have a LOT of disciplines in our lab.  So ideas about what sorts of hands on items might be good would be useful.  We have a bunch of spare gage block sets in the warehouse that wouldn't get hurt (or wouldn't matter) if some skin oils got on them.  Maybe a monochromatic light demo.  Of course I'm an electrical type, but I don't want anyone getting shocked (why I'm thinking of Phys/D as the demos).  Thoughts??
"I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind."
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)
from lecture to the Institute of Civil Engineers, 3 May 1883

measure

I think the old Navy film, "Why Calibrate?" is a good intro to people without overloading them with a bunch of intimidating concepts and/or mathematics. At one time, it was available free from NCSLi, who, incidentally, might be a good resource for other materials. Training is a very important aspect in the NCSLi's program, and I would be surprised if they couldn't offer, or at least, direct you to more resources.

Hawaii596

We are members.  I'll have to get with upper management and see about the NCSLi idea.  Also, and thanks for that idea, seems like I recall that "Why Calibrate?" film maybe being on youtube.  I'll take a look.
"I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind."
Lord Kelvin (1824-1907)
from lecture to the Institute of Civil Engineers, 3 May 1883

CalLabSolutions

Michael L. Schwartz
Automation Engineer
Cal Lab Solutions
  Web -  http://www.callabsolutions.com
Phone - 303.317.6670

CalLabSolutions

Michael L. Schwartz
Automation Engineer
Cal Lab Solutions